Few things are more satisfyingly nostalgic than a good flakey scone. If you haven’t tried making them gluten free, Jen has the fail-proof recipe for you. This is her go-to recipe for her gluten free son and she swears by it.
Made gluten-free using our Queen St. Bakery 1-for-1 Superfood Baking Flour as a substitute for regular wheat flour.
Jen’s Favourite Blueberry Scones (Gluten Free/Nut Free)
- 2 cups QSB 1-for-1 Superfood Baking Flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cinnamon (optional)
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sugar (plus some for sprinkling)
- ½ cup butter, finely chopped while cold
- ½ cup buttermilk or milk of your choice
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
1. Thinly slice the cold butter, then chop into cubes. Place on to a plate lined with baking paper and freeze for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla, set aside.
4. Grab the frozen butter and “cut” it into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or your hands. You’ll know it’s ready when you have a sandy texture. Place bowl in the fridge for 10 minutes to cool the butter mixture again.
5. Preheat your oven to 400F.
6. Pour the milk mixture into the flour/butter mixture and gently stir. Add frozen blueberries. Stir until it forms a sticky ball then pour onto a floured piece of baking paper.
7. Lightly dust the top with flour and cut in half to form two discs about the size of your hand. Cut each disc into 6 pieces like a pie then gently separate them about 1 inch from one another. Place them into the fridge for 10-15 minutes to chill one last time. I promise all this chilling will be worth it!
8. Brush the chilled scones with your choice of milk and sprinkle with a bit of sugar (optional). Pop them in the preheated oven for 16-22 minutes. You want the edges and top to be golden while the middle still feels soft. Enjoy with butter or your favourite preserve.
Recipes you might like
These easy protein squares are completely fuss free, gluten free and dairy free. Plus they’re less than 100 calories per square.Like brownies but healthier. Thanks