A Canadian classic made gluten free and dairy free. During the cold winter months, there’s nothing that warms the soul like a homemade butter tart. This recipe is super simple and makes as many or as few as you’re craving.
Thanks to our customer Jenna for sharing his recipe, made gluten-free using our Queen St. Bakery 1-for-1 Superfood Baking Flour as a substitute for regular wheat flour.
Jenna’s Butter Tarts (Gluten Free/Dairy Free)
- 1 ½ cup QSB 1-for-1 Superfood Baking Flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- ½ cup lard, cubed (make it vegan by subbing vegan shortening)
- 1/4 cup oat milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp oat milk
- 2 ½ tbsp arrowroot starch
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
This recipe also works great with an all rounder gluten free pie crust. Try Kim’s famous pie crust recipe here.
1. In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Then cut in lard with a fork until you get a crumbly texture. Pour in the oat milk, and combine with fork until dough comes together into a ball.
2. Roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper until you get the size you need, and gently peel pack top paper. Cut into pieces big enough for a muffin tin. Fit pie shells into the tin and place in the fridge until ready to use
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, beat or whisk together the brown sugar, coconut oil, oat milk, arrowroot starch and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
Divide mixture among each tart shell, about half way up the tart shell.
2. Bake for 15-20 minutes and let cool in pan before removing.
Recipe Developed by Jenna, Queen St. Bakery Flour customer
Recipes you might like
These easy protein squares are completely fuss free, gluten free and dairy free. Plus they’re less than 100 calories per square.Like brownies but healthier. Thanks