We love banana bread, but sometimes it’s hard to justify a slice of something close to cake for breakfast. This recipe relies completely on the natural sweetness of bananas and has no added sugar, making it perfect for any time of day. Thanks to the amazing binding ability of flax (see flax egg below), this loaf is also vegan and dairy free. Our Queen St. Bakery’s 1-for-1 Superfood Baking Mix acts as a substitute for regular wheat flour making it an ideal treat for any visitors, regardless of diet or restrictions.
Banana bread for all (Vegan, Sugar, Gluten and Nut Free)
Servings: 8 slices
- 2 cup QSB 1-for-1 Superfood Baking Mix
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- 3 (350g) large ripe bananas
- 75ml coconut oil
- 1/4 cup favourite milk alternative (we used oat)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (you’ll need 3 tbsp of ground flax seeds)
- Optional: 1 sliced banana for topping
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350F. Lightly grease a loaf pan (9×5 in) with oil and set aside.
2. To make the flax egg, combine 3 tbsp of ground flax with 1 tbsp of warm water and mix with a spoon. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it begins to thicken.
3. In a large bowl, mash the 3 ripe bananas using a fork. Stir in the rest of the wet ingredients (coconut oil, milk alternative, vanilla and flax egg) until combined..
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (baking mix, baking soda, baking powder, salt). Add the dry ingredients into the wet (large bowl) and mix using a spatula until the are no flour clumps left. If it seems a little dry, add some more ‘milk’
5. Pour batter into the loaf tin, top with sliced banana and bake for 45-55 minutes. After 45 minutes, check the center of the loaf with a toothpick. Once it comes out clean, the loaf is done!
6. Let it cool on a wire rack, in the loaf tin for 30 minutes. Once cooled, slice using a wet knife in nice thick pieces.
Serve with coconut butter, nut butter or vegan spread.
Store covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
Recipe Developed by Mark, Marketing Director at Queen St. Bakery.
Recipes you might like
One of our most reliable sources for happiness has got to be the humble brownie. But even though these gooey chocolate squares are a crowdpleaser
We love banana bread, but sometimes it’s hard to justify a slice of something close to cake for breakfast. This recipe relies completely on the
We’re always on the hunt for a new recipe for chewy chocolate cookies! This recipe is a go-to for our Marketing Director Mark, which marries