Isn’t French toast one of the most epic breakfast options? We certainly think it is, and to make it even more epic we’ve stuffed it with homemade apple pie filling and our delicious cinnamon raisin bread. If you’re planning a breakfast or brunch gathering anytime soon, make this dish! You can whip it up the night before so all you have to do in the morning is turn on the oven and make a pot of coffee!
QSB Overnight Stuffed Apple Pie French Toast
- 1 loaf Queen Street Bakery Cinnamon Raisin Loaf (crust removed)
- 4 cups Apples, peeled cored and diced
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 4 Eggs
- Icing Sugar, to garnish
- Place apples in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Combine water, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan. Stir to combine, then bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Once the mixture comes to a boil, boil for two minutes. Add the apples, turn to a simmer and cover. Cook, stirring often, until the apples soften, about 5-8 minutes.
- Place 6 slices of bread in a casserole dish in an even layer. Spread apple pie filling across the bread layer. Add the remaining six pieces of bread across the top.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla. Pour mixture over top. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove foil, place casserole dish in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until top layer is golden brown and slightly crisp.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
Recipe Developed by Suzie Durigon, certified culinarian, culinary instructor, food blogger and chief taste tester.