We’re always on the hunt for a new recipe for chewy chocolate cookies! This recipe is a go-to for our Marketing Director Mark, which marries the decadent sweetness of two types of chocolate, with the savouryness of sea salt. The secret to a chewy cookie? Refrigerate your dough before the baking. This gives the flour time to hydrate and the fats time to solidfying, leaving you with a slow ooze in the oven and a deliciously chewy cookie. Gluten free, nut free and guilt-free (kind-of), this recipe uses Queen St. Bakery’s 1-for-1 Superfood Baking Flour as a substitute for regular wheat flour.
Double Chocolate + Sea Salt Gluten Free Cookies
- 1 cup (150 g) QSB 1-for-1 Superfood Baking Flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 ½ oz (100g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 8 ¾ oz (240g) soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 75g of semi-sweet/dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 1/8 tsp of quality sea salt and some for sprinkling
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the baking flour, baking soda and cocoa powder and set aside
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together. If you don’t have an electric mixer, use a regular whisk and some elbow grease
3. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, making sure to incorporate before adding the second
4. Using a spatula, combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in 3 batches, mixing well between each addition. Once combined, add the chocolate chips
5. Pre-heat your oven to 320F and line a baking tray with parchment paper
6. Shape the dough into 12 balls. Each ball should use about 3 tablespoons of dough. If its too sticky, pop it in the fridge for 10 minutes.
7. Refrigerate the balls for 20-30 minutes. This is the SECRET to chewy cookies. It helps the fats solidify and slows down the ‘ooze’ of the cookie
8. Place the baking sheet directly into the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cookies appear cracked on top.
9. Cool on the tray, sprinkle with sea salt and refrigerate for up to 3 days
Recipe Developed by Mark, Marketing Director at Queen St. Bakery.
Recipes you might like
One of our most reliable sources for happiness has got to be the humble brownie. But even though these gooey chocolate squares are a crowdpleaser
We love banana bread, but sometimes it’s hard to justify a slice of something close to cake for breakfast. This recipe relies completely on the
We’re always on the hunt for a new recipe for chewy chocolate cookies! This recipe is a go-to for our Marketing Director Mark, which marries